Saturday 25 April 2020

a real Anzac Day story...


Anzac Day 2020 - dawn light over the front balcony of my grandson's townhouse in Wollongong...


When my daughter sent me the above image from her son's home,
she told me that she forgot to tell me the following story (related to the last post here)...

When we stood out the front, an old fella across the road stood quietly with his candle.
He had medals on his jacket.

We could hear two trumpets playing the Last Post.
One was from in the centre of town, which was clear.
Then a neighbour, a few streets away to our right, played a rusty rendition of the same.

A number of families did the same as us in town.

I was so glad we were standing with our candles when the old fella came out.
We faced him holding our candles
without a word...

No comments:

Blog Archive